I know I  have a post titled “Drive“, but this has to do with another type of drive: ambition. I would like to think I’m an ambitious individual. I have big dreams for myself. I have big dreams for the world. I have clear goals that I want to achieve and I’m working hard towards those goals all the while sticking to my morals and ideologies. I’m proud of my progress but at the same time I know I have a long way to go. I am not content with being better than I was yesterday; I need to be better than I’ve ever been and better than what I expect. I know I am not there yet but it’s what motivates me and keeps me working on projects at absurd hours of the night, only to wake up 3 hours later.

Every sentence in the previous paragraph started with “I.” “I” might come first in the pursuit of my goals, but I still know when to quell my ambition and help friends and family. It’s my ambition that drives me and how I think and address my life’s situations.

It is because of my ambition and my desire for change and improvement that I hate when people are complacent. You might be good enough for now, but you can always be better. You can always do better. There is always room for improvement. There’s someone out there working harder than you are who wants what you have or wants more than what you’ve settled for. Being comfortable is a good thing, but at the same time being comfortable can be bad. You need to take risks and do things you’re not comfortable with. You won’t know what you’re capable of until you try it. Settling and being content with what you have leads to stagnation. It’s not greed that compels ambitious people to want more, it’s knowing that there’s more out there and more that you’re capable of.

It is also because of my ambition that I hate  people with terrible work ethics. Too many people don’t do things until told.  You don’t need to be reminded to complete tasks. You don’t need to be told that things are important. Too many people don’t put their heart into their work. Although I admit there’s some tasks that don’t require much thought, I pay attention to details to ensure that whatever I’m working on can merit the Khoi Seal of Approval. In this day and age, almost everything you do can be traced back to you so try to do your best no matter how menial the task. You worked on it? Own it. Too many people rely on non-contributory factors. Your dad is friends with the owner? So what. That proves nothing on what you can do. You have a bajillion followers on Twitter? What does any of that say about your skills? You’re a cute girl that gets hundreds of likes and shares? People aren’t going to pay you to be pretty for too long. Beauty fades and being kept around for good head is basically whoring yourself. Too many people are entitled. Just because you’re on a contract doesn’t mean you’re irreplaceable. Just because you’re a known entity doesn’t mean you don’t have to work and fight for your job. You can’t phone in work and call it a day. Arrogance is unwarranted 90% of the time. The other 10%? You can probably get by being humble too. There is nothing that you deserve (besides human rights :D) that you shouldn’t have to prove and earn.

Sometimes I wonder if I’m wrong to think these things that make me dislike certain qualities in people. Do other ambitious people share my mentality? What is the lethargic person’s take on the situations I’ve referenced above? I don’t know. I try to keep my interactions with them to a minimum while I drive past them on the road of life.

Khoi

Author Khoi

More posts by Khoi

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.